BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team won their fourth consecutive Skyline Conference game, and fifth overall, against Yeshiva University, 96-78, on Tuesday evening from The Hill Center. The Bears improve to 5-3 (4-0 in conference play) while the Maccabees fall to 1-6 (0-5 Skyline).
Prior to the game, junior Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) was presented with a commemorative ball to honor her 1,000th career point which scored earlier this season.
How it Happened
Following a quick layup by Yeshiva's Yuval Nitzan to open up the scoring, O'Donnell and Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) combined for 11 of the first 17 Bears' points. The pair furthered the Bear advantage, with O'Donnell scoring nine points in the quarter while Quesada scored netted seven. Freshman Emma Kiley scored six points of her own as the Bears led 29-15 to end the opening period.
The Bears continued their sharpshooting in the second stanza with Samantha Wilber (Island Heights, N.J./Central Regional) pouring in a career-high 12 points, all from three-point land. Alexis Breen (Union Beach, N.J./Keyport) also contributed seven points in the quarter to put the Bears up 58-42 at the intermission.
The lead for SJC ballooned to 22 in the third quarter on a pair of treys from O'Donnell and Jamie Provino (Harrison, N.Y./Harrison). While O'Donnell came away with 11 points, Briana Gomez (West Hempstead, N.Y./Kellenberg) came off the bench to produce four points herself as the Bears closed out the third on top, 80-58.
Yeshiva outscored the Bears 20-16 in the final period thanks to a Maccabee 18-6 run to start the period. Their deficit was reduced to eight points with 2:56 remaining in regulation. However, O'Donnell and Quesada continued to drain buckets throughout the quarter, posting 12 points amongst each other, to see the Bears hold on for the 96-78 win.
For the Bears
- O'Donnell's team-leading 27 points were two shy of matching her season-high of 29. She also picked up seven rebounds and four assists.
- Quesada posted 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting. She also pulled down nine boards
- Emma Kiley (Whitestone, N.Y./Archbishop Molloy) recorded 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Provino scored nine points on the evening to go along with six assists and five boards.
- Breen also scored nine points.
- Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) dished out six assists and had as many rebounds.
- 11 Bears scored in the game including Lisa LoSchiavo (Malverne, N.Y./Valley Stream North), who scored her first collegiate point on a free throw late in the second quarter.
The Bears look to remain undefeated in Skyline play as they close out their December slate with a trip to the College of Old Westbury on Saturday, December 7 at noon. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com/live.